The Merus water treatment offers an easy-to-install and sustainable solution for problems with water for many types of buildings, including a large amount of fitness clubs all over Europe. Apart from being able to make use of the gym machines in fitness clubs, gym members can usually also make use of several other facilities, including the possibility to shower and occasionally also other amenities, such as spas, steam baths, saunas or even pools.
After providing several clubs with demo-installations to experience the results, the Merus water treatment has now been installed in over 450 fitness clubs of Basic Fit, Fitness First and Health City. These are not only installed in the Netherlands, yet as well in Belgium, Luxembourg, France and Spain and there are still many more to come. The Merus watertreatment is mainly installed with the purpose of reducing lime scale, which makes it much easier for gym clubs to keep their facilities as clean and hygienic as possible.
Advantages of the Merus water treatment for fitness clubs
1. Cleaner pipe lines will get back their original diameters and water-operating machines will have lower failure and break-down rates
2. Pipe system will have a better corrosion protection due to magnetite layer, resulting in a longer lifespan and less requirements for maintenance and replacement
3. Pumps will have a longer lifespan and need less maintenance and replacement
4. Filters will have a longer lifespan and need less maintenance and replacement
5. Boilers and heat exchangers will consume less energy, need less maintenance, perform better and have a longer lifetime
6. Biofilm and algae will be reduced in the water system, which will lower the failure and break down rates of water-operating machines
7. In combination with reduced lime scale and rust, chances are lower for bacteria (e.g. legionella) to settle in the system in the long term
8. Less chemicals will be needed to maintain a safe level of operation (financial and environmental aspects)
9. Overall appearance of the fitness club will be much cleaner (less and easier cleaning of the fitness club, less use of cleaning equipment and members will benefit from much cleaner facilities)
Example fitness club showers
Which amenities in a fitness club can benefit from the Merus technology?
Shower areas, which indicates the overall hygiene of a club and can affect the satisfaction of gym members. A shower head covered with lime scale usually results in water going in all directions.
Steam generators, which produce steam for baths, can also suffer from this problem with lime scale, often found in the nozzles.
Where would the Merus rings be installed?
Depending on the size of the fitness club, 2-3 rings would have to be installed; one at the inlet of the city water into the club and the other one at the hot water boiler. If there is a steam generator or another similar device too, another Merus ring would be installed at the feed water line.
What is the result?
All fitness clubs equipped with the Merus water treatment can conclude that the technology ensures less forming of lime scale and that the remaining amount is very soft and therefore easy to remove. Some fitness clubs used to clean e.g. the steam generator twice a week, which does not only cost much money, it also takes a large amount of time from employees. Thanks to this sustainable and innovative solution, such tasks can be seen more as a ‘side job’ for the employees. Where the usual solution used to be a classical water softener, the investment in Merus has proved itself with a significant decrease in service and labour costs and incredible results.